During this last General Conference, there was a talk given by Mary N. Cook, a counselor in the Young Women General Presidency. In her talk, she shared a story about a young mother who wanted to read the Book of Mormon with her children, but thought they were too young because most or all of them could not read yet. However, she decided that they would just start out with a few verses a day, and progress as the children learned to read. It took them 3 1/2 years to finish the Book of Mormon, but they finished. As I listened to this talk, I thought, "That is me. I have one child that can read, and one that cannot. Both have a short attention span. But if it takes us 4 years, then that is fine." So, we started reading the Book of Mormon as a family--one column per night after dinner. Anistyn reads her own verses, and Stockton repeats the words back as we tell them to him. Last night while we were reading, it came time for Stockton's turn. I read a few words for him to repeat. He looked at me and said "No, Mommy! It 'posed to say 'and it came to pass!!!' And we thought he wasn't listening.......
1 comment:
LOVE THIS!!!! I heard that talk and felt it in my gut as well. We've tried the videos, the picture books, the study guides, but were conflicted because we weren't reading the actual scriptures with Reagan and Cole. We started as well and try to do 1/2 a chapter a night. It's gonna take a while, but at least we're getting somewhere :)
And it came to pass that they read the scriptures as a family...... right????
Way to go Stockton!!!
Post a Comment